Doug started college in Minnesota where he attended Gustavus Adolphus College in 1976 to fulfill a dream of playing ice hockey. He transferred to the University of Denver earning a degree in Business Administration and added his law degree from DU a few years later.
Doug applies a pragmatic approach to solving client problems and his ice hockey background serves him well in asserting creditor’s rights for his clients.
Doug is particularly skilled at setting up client specific forms and checklists to standardize routine or recurring legal matters in collection, replevin and bankruptcy.
Successfully applied to auto finance and bank clients, these procedures resulted in faster filings, shorter times to resolution, standardization of fees and resulting improvement in client portfolio predictability and performance.
A member of the National Automotive Finance Association, Doug demonstrates his commitment to auto finance industry by serving as a member of the Legal Affairs Subcommittee to the Board of Directors to the NAF Association. The subcommittee provides real time alerts and education to the members through a variety of publications and seminars.
Pastimes now include bicycle riding, an occasional triathlon, writing a book, and spending time with his Labrador retriever.
Areas of Practice
- 50% Commercial Collection & Replevin
- 50% Bankruptcy
- Colorado, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2000
- University of Denver, College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1984
- Editor, The Denver Law Journal, 1983-84
- Author, Securities Section, Tenth Annual 10th Cir. Survey, 61 Den.L.J. 369-78 (1984)
- University of Denver, B.S.B.A., 1981 (Major: Finance)
- Successful Judgment Collection in Colorado, National Business Institute, (2004, 2005)
- Aligning Your Practice with the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005, National Business Institute, (2005)
- Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law, National Business Institute, (2005, 2007)
- Collection Law From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, (2006)
- Lending: Collections, Foreclosures and Bankruptcy, Center For Financial Training Western States, (2007, 2009)
- Post-Judgment Collection: Getting Consumer Debtors to Pay, National Business Institute, (2009)
- Frequent Panelist, Annual Non-Prime Auto Financing Conference, National Automotive Finance Association (2000 forward)
Mr. Koktavy is a member of the National Automotive Finance Association (NAFA) and a member of the National Automotive Finance Association (NAFA) Legal Affairs Subcommittee.
To learn more about attorney Douglas D. Koktavy and the fine attorneys and legal staff at our office, please see our firm and lawyer profiles below. To contact us for assistance, call our Denver, Colorado, office at (303) 758-6601, ext. 104.